I still have the quilt on the frame to complete but I really, really wanted to sew on the sewing machine. I wanted to start a new quilt and having attended the York Heritage Quilt Guild meeting last night gave me some inspiration. I came home and searched for patterns that I wanted to work on. Something not too detailed or strenuous. Since I have a lot of red fabrics already sorted, and since Quilts at the Creek is featuring red and white quilts this year in honour of Canada's 150th birthday, and also, since I don't normally work in red, I decided to make a red and white quilt. Here's what I came up with.
This is the beginning of a herringbone quilt. The inspiration came from Christa's free pattern. I get stingy with my white cotton fabric and I found a piece that I could use up. I'm sure I could have made the white scrappy if I needed more white but I wanted to use up this one particular piece. I could have cut 6" squares but I didn't. I decided to see exactly how I could best use up the piece and found that there would be very little waste or leftover if I bumped up the squares to 7" and that's what I did. There were just slivers of the fabric left from cutting the edge so I could have a straight cut. I managed to get 45 squares so we'll see how big this quilt gets.
I've already got a name for the quilt too - Red Herring.
I'm linking up with The Needle and Thread Network and also with